Saturday, July 13, 2013

be grateful for spouses who steal the covers

Something happened the other night that got me thinking.
It all started when I was tossing and turning trying to fall asleep. 
Unfortunately, this happens to me a lot because I'm not very good at shutting my mind off.
Ammon, however, was already fast asleep. (that lucky duck falls asleep so easily)
At one point, I was just about to fall asleep when Ammon turned over and the covers were pulled away from me!
I was a little frustrated and yanked the covers back on my side. 
Meanwhile, Ammon is still  fast asleep.
Instead of staying frustrated, I tried to look at it with a different perspective. 
Then a thought hit me, 
"What if Ammon wasn't here at all?"
A warming feeling came over me and I felt very grateful that I had a husband who was there with me, cover-thieving and all, rather than somewhere far away.

I work with a girl who just barely got married. Her husband works the graveyard shift. When she gets home from work at 11 at night, he has already left for work and won't get back until 6 in the morning. 

I also know a girl who had to spend her whole engagement away from her fiance. He came home for 2 weeks just in time for their wedding day. And then left again right afterwards, leaving her alone for the first year of their marriage. Wow, that would be hard!

And I know plenty of other people who have had to spend many months away from their spouse at some point in their marriage.

I am so grateful that I get to fall asleep next to my husband every single night. 
I am so grateful that there are traces of him throughout the house because it means he is here with me.
I mean think about it! Think of all the things that a husband may do that could be taken as annoying, (ie. leaving clothes on the floor, leaving the toilet seat up, facial hair on the counter, you get the picture) but if you look at it with gratitude, it means he's home! 
{And for you men that might be reading this, the same could be said about wives.} 


2 comments:

  1. So true, my husband sometimes snores like a bear, but getting to be with him every night is one of my favorite parts of marriage :) I think I'll get to the point where I can't sleep without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, some days I have to stop myself from being grumbly about "the dishes being left" as he heads to work, "the covers being all over the place because he slept like a rock". Then when my head is in the right place and I remember all that I do love about him, these small things just add to the moments that I love him even more. I'm glad that he has a job and is willing and even excited to go, so that we can make money and be able to live in comfort. And those sheets, he always reminds me, it is I who steals them. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...