Monday, September 10, 2012

honesty goes a long way

I had an eye-opening moment today at work that I want to write down. It's not necessarily for you guys (although I'd love to hear your feedback!) but it's so I can remember the thoughts I pulled from having the following experience. 

A cute couple sat at my table. The host came up to me and politely said, "You're sat Leah!" I walked to the table and began my usual routine of introducing myself and starting them off with drinks. They were also ready to order. Two waters, a lasagna and a deep dish 8 in pizza.

I quickly entered in their order, brought them their waters and then left to attend other tables. A couple minutes later, it was time to drop off their salads. When I got to the table, there sat the lasagna. And not the pizza. The lady turned to the guy and said in a frustrated voice, "Tell her to take that back. That is so rude that they brought it out without waiting for the pizza." I quickly apologized by saying, "I'm so sorry about that..." with which she responded, "Oh it's not your fault." I gulped and then explained, "Well, actually it is. There's a button I'm supposed to push called "hold and fire" which tells the grill guy to wait on making the lasagna until the pizza is ready. And I forgot to push it." They didn't say much, but the conversation ended with me explaining that I'd make sure they came out at the same time and taking the lasagna back to the kitchen.

Okay. Pause button. When she said it wasn't my fault, I was tempted for a split second to agree with her. I could have easily blamed other people (which, I uh... may have done before) But I am so glad I didn't this time! When I went back to their table to check on their food, they were so nice to me! Like, really nice. And you know what thought kept running through my head? "Honesty goes a long way." 

This reminded me of something another server once told me. Her name is Cassi, and she has been serving at Brick Oven for years and years. She was one of my trainers so I soaked in everything she had to say. She told me, "If I ever make a mistake. I always take the blame for it. People really appreciate it." She was right. :)

This story wasn't exceptionally remarkable or remarkably exceptional, but it taught me something I needed to be taught. Honesty really is the best policy. Always. :)




6 comments:

  1. I love this :) It's sooo easy to blame other people - but you're right, there's so many blessings from being honest, even if it's scary... This story made an impression on me, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this leah! you are such a good example to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great story, it is simple and shares a super important point. It is so much easier to just not correct someone. It seems harmless but it is still not honest. Thank you for reminding me of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example of a wonderful principle. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for you feedback!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...