Tuesday, August 7, 2012

ring in the new!

Alfred Tennyson wrote a poem titled, Ring Out, Wild Bells which is often recited on New Year's Eve to celebrate the coming of a new year. 
And did you know that this very poem is also in the Hymn book for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? It's located in the Christmas section and is hymn number 215.
I was a little excited when I found out today!

I know, I know, it isn't Christmas time, but this poem/hymn is applicable to anyone anytime of the year. I really like the beginning of the second verse. It says, "Ring out the old, ring in the new."

Here are a few new things I'm excited about:


1. My new blog header!
 Doesn't it look so good? Candace, an ex-co-worker from Brick Oven is amazing at graphic design and has been working with me to make it just how I wanted! If you're interested, look at her online portfolio here. Or if you just want see her super fun blog and show her some lovin, go here

2. New clothes. It's okay to be girly sometimes, right? Well, ring in the new blue pair of pants I just bought: 
Aeropostale-on sale- only $15


And this beauty:
Downeast- $10
Looks kind of silly, right? I used to walk past these "half-tank-top things" and thought they were a joke. I didn't see why anyone would want half a tank top. Then I realized how hot it is outside and that half my shirts are long enough at the bottom, but too low at the neck line. Solution: a "half-tank-top thing." I LOVE IT! 

3. New adventures. Ammon and I are driving to Bicknell this weekend for Shelby's wedding. It is right by Capitol Reef. I'm super stoked for that. Also, in 2 weeks, Ammon's family is having a family reunion in Heber. (Also super stoked for that.) And then maybe Ammon and I will be able to join my family in Moab for Labor Day. My brother Taylor will be skydiving for the first time and who doesn't want to see that?

Alright. On a more serious note, I would like to go back to the poem that Alfred Tennyson wrote. The poem is centered on Christ and how through Him, we can ring out the old and ring in the new. Meaning, we can ring out the things about ourselves that need improvement, and ring in the new when we overcome them. It is our choice whether or not we want to ring out the old. It starts with a desire and is nourished with prayer, faith, and applying the atonement. I'm so grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ who made ringing out the old and ringing in the new possible!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...