Saturday, April 27, 2013

massage drunk


I have the best visiting teacher ever! 
When she found out I was stressed with finals, she asked if there was anything she could do.
In my head I'm thinking that while I love treats and junk food, I was dying for something a little more relaxing.

Then I remembered that my visiting teacher is a massage therapist. 
Think, think, think. 
I couldn't resist... 
I asked her {in the nicest way possible} if I could get a massage when all was said and done with finals.
 And because she is so wonderful, she readily agreed!

Thursday was my last final! {huzzah!} 
Just before 8:00, I rode my bike quickly to her house, where she pleasantly greeted me. 
Then, for an hour or so, I received my first, official massage.
It was uh-mazing!
The atmosphere was perfectly lit, calm music played in the background the whole time, and my visiting teacher is pro.

When it came time to leave the room, the weirdest sensations came over me.
My visiting teacher handed me a bottle of water and had me sit down on her couch.
She looked across at me and asked how I felt.
Then, with the cheesiest grin on my face, I responded, "good."
"Why am I smiling like a doofus?" I thought to myself. I tried to act more natural.
My visiting teacher then expressed that she was worried for me to ride my bike home.
 I didn't understand. Why was she worried? I can ride my bike just fine! 
She then explained that I needed more time to "come back down to earth" because I was most likely experiencing what she likes to call "massage drunk."
I was so excited to hear this that I blurted, "Is this what getting high feels like!?"
{confession: I have secretly wanted to know what being high feels like}

My v.t. smiled and further explained that most people are constantly in "flight or fight" mode. Getting a massage is a healthy way of temporarily relieving ourselves from this mode. The drunk feeling is also due to the releasing of toxins and from stimulating the nervous system which releases endorphins. I had no idea getting a massage could make a person feel so elated and tipsy all at the same time. 
{Go to this website to read more.} 

After my v.t drove me home, Ammon's brother Nephi was over. The three of us played monopoly. I don't think that game has ever been more "thrilling" than it was that night. Every time I rolled the dice, I just felt really lucky. I was also very talkative during the game; when I'm usually not. 

Thursday was a great day. I did well on my last final. I finally got to experience a tiny taste of what getting high feels like. {a healthy version of it} And I also ended up winning Monopoly. 

3 comments:

  1. Carol is pretty amazing! I actually got a couple massages from her. Once when I was pregnant, and one just a month or so ago. Wish I could get one every day! They are heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is amazing! I love the feeling after a massage and you described it so well! Way to go being done with finals!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massages just make me melt. I wouldn't have been able to ride the bike home! It takes an MT a while to relax my tense muscles because I live life so in-tense-ly. I almost went to school to become one. Went in and talked to personnel at a school in SLC. Would have been a very different turn in my life had I done so. Miss you all. So proud of you for making it through finals. Now what happens? Love you both.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...