Friday, January 9, 2015

announcing baby girl

Wow! It sure has been a  good while since I've written in this here blog. I thought for sure I would blog over the holidays but it turns out I like spending time with family, eating goodies, sleeping, talking about baby girl, playing in the snow, and scrapbooking more than blogging. Catching up is going to be quite the endeavor. Where do I even start? I think I'll start back when I was 20 weeks along.

For those who don't know, 20 weeks is a big deal during your pregnancy because that's when you typically go in for a very important ultrasound. They measure the growth of your baby and make sure that everything looks how it should. It is also a great time to find out the gender because by then, things have grown enough that you can know the difference between boy or girl. (Assuming that the baby isn't shy.)

Here's how things played out for me:
On Sunday, November 23rd, I was officially 20 weeks along.
The next day, on Monday, November 24th, I went in for my 20 week ultrasound. I didn't take any pictures, but my sweet mother was there and she took a video! (Thank you, mom!) Here are some snippets from the video:

Waiting in the lounge
Little baby bump
Ultrasound room
Getting started


When I officially found out that I was having a little girl, I wasn't surprised or overcome with emotion.To be honest, I was more happy to find out that the baby was healthy. Before going in for my appointment, I was worried that something might be wrong with my baby. The excitement of having a girl hit me later, after I had more time to think about it. I am SO excited to have a baby girl!

The next day was the last day of school before Thanksgiving break. It was the perfect day to announce to the kids what I was having. Many of them had been waiting and waiting for this day to come.

I went to school that day with two plates full of cookies and a scratch card on top. I set them on the back table and just let the anticipation build and build as the day went on.


Then, just before the bell rang, I picked a student at random to scratch the card and tell the class what I was having. Here he is, opening the card:


The next picture is just after he read the card, announcing baby girl:
I love how some of the students are clapping and then I've got one student, who has jumped in the air with excitement. Oh those kids make me happy.

Treats!
A cute note that one of the girls wrote me
So that was how I announced baby girl to my students. To announce it to my extended family, I made cupcakes with pink frosting in the middle. They may not look that cute or fancy, but they took me all day to make. At the end of the day I was doubting whether this cutesy announcement thing was worth it. Well, when all was said and done, it was totally worth it. I loved watching my cousins get excited.

Mystery cupcakes!
My family eating the cupcakes
It's a girl!



So there you have it. We're having a little baby girl!!
And we couldn't be more excited.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to be a great-grandma. I probably won't put Lily down once I get to hold her. Leah, you are the oldest grandchild. Olivia is 4 and the youngest. Last week I said don't eat your boogers. She smiled slyly and said, "But Damma they are yummy!" You get to look forward to these things! In 4 years she went from a squishy little newborn to a hilarious comic. I love to be around her. Her observations crack me up. She will be the class clown. One time I wrote down the personalities and quirkiness of my daughters. What you have in the beginning is what you get later on as they grow up. So enjoy your little girl because she won't stay little for long. You will be fantastic parents!!! Because you have had good examples - not perfect - but very good examples.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...